I have served it this way too many unsuspecting people who hate liver so much they can "taste it in anything" but were willing to let me try to fool them. And I did - they loved it.
- 2 lbs Sliced Beef Liver
- 1 ½ cups Raw Milk or Lemon Juice
- 3 Onions, sliced
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, Butter or Bacon Grease, as needed
- Assorted Vegetables for roasting if desired
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Prep: thaw overnight and remove the membrane from the edge of the meat with a sharp knife, soak 2-4 hours or all day in 1 1/2 to 2 cups raw milk or lemon juice in the fridge.
- Cook liver in a skillet over med heat with coconut oil or bacon grease until pink in the center is faint- do not overcook. To make onions: Peel and slice 3-6 onions (they reduce by about half while cooking), add fat of choice- I use 1T coconut oil and 1T butter or bacon grease - in cast iron skillet cook over low heat for 45min to an hour or more (if more onions) until onions are browned and caramelized. Stir them every 5-10min. Add 4-6 cloves of sliced or whole garlic to onions as well. If you like mushrooms, adding some sliced to the pan at the beginning and allow them to caramelize as well.
- Serve immediately! I usually pair the liver and onions with roasted veggies (coarsely chop veggies, drizzle with olive oil and spices, roast at 350 for 45 min) and a cup of hot spicy bone broth to drink.