Cold Cucumber Soup
1 large chilled English cucumber
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh red chili pepper (optional)
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons vinegar
5-6 cherry tomatoes, sliced (optional)
1 cup cold water
7-8 ice cubes (1 cup)
1- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, ground
1. Cut the cucumber into 3-inch long thin matchsticks/slices and put them into a chilled mixing bowl.
2. Add your garlic, green onion, and red chili pepper (if used).
3. Add the salt, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar. Mix well, gently with a spoon until the salt and sugar are well dissolved.
4. Add the water, ice cubes, and the sliced tomato (if used), and gently mix with a spoon. Let ice cubes dissolve.
5. Spoon 4 portions into individual bowls, sprinkle sesame seeds on top, and serve right away with rice (optional) on the side.
It can be served with a side of rice, but it does just fine on its own as a refreshing, easy-to-digest, and healthy summer soup!