To start your day, I love this savory Congee. It’s packed with several powerhouse food herbs to nourish your body. Enjoy it plain, or with a cup of green tea as an easy way to start your day.
BASIC CONGEE RECIPE
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 10 cups broth (or you can use
- 10 cups water for making a breakfast congee)
- 1 tsp neutral oil (like coconut)
FOR SAVORY CONGEE (Optional for serving)
- 1 cup milk, either dairy or soy
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Leftover shredded meat
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Julienned carrots
- Soy sauce
- Hot sauce
- Toasted sesame oil
- In the bowl of a large slow-cooker, stir together 1 teaspoon of neutral oil and the short-grain rice until the rice grains are coated. Add the broth (or water) and stir to combine. Place the lid on the slow-cooker, turn heat to ‘LOW’ and allow to cook for 8 hours. Just prior to serving, bump the heat up to ‘HIGH’. If you’re using milk, stir it in now. Re-cover the slow-cooker and allow to cook for 30 minutes. Turn off the cooker, uncover and stir prior to serving.
- Drizzle with a little toasted sesame oil, top with sliced green onions, add a few drops of Sriracha and chop a hard-boiled egg. This may not cure the cold, but it sure makes you feel better.
- Add chicken, scallions and some diced veggies (before or after cooking) and serve…
- Add ground meat, egg yolk, some diced garlic and veggies
- Or to start your day, I love this sweet variation below called "8 Treasure Congee". It’s packed with several powerhouse food herbs to nourish your body. Enjoy with a cup of green tea as an easy way to start your day. I usually let this cook overnight and add a little milk of choice to replace part of the water.
In addition to your rice, add:
- ¼ C pearl barley
- 6-8 Chinese dates (aka hong zao or jujubes - if can’t get these you can use medjool dates)
- 1 cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon to taste
- 1” ginger root peeled and grated (can use powdered ginger as well)
- 1 t cardamom
- Gan cao (chinese licorice - about 6g)- this can be omitted if you can’t find it, star anise can be used if you like but it is an entirely different plant)
- Goji Berries (¼ C)
- Mulberries (¼ C)